3.13.2010

Beef Stew

It was a blustery day yesterday.  The temperature dropped around lunch time and it started to rain and hail, which meant it was a perfect day for stew.  Growing up I ate this meal a lot.  I think it was easy and cheap, my Mom said that it helped us stay healthy too.  The taste is so good that I decided for my dinner party to make yummy stew--not your typical fare for such an event.
You can use whatever beef you want.  I like london broil for my stews and chili's.  Some people have used ground beef or chuck beef.  I remember having this with venison and elk (elk being my favorite.) Just make sure it is bite sized pieces and it won't matter what the meat is. You can add whatever veggies you want to.  I used carrots, potatoes, onion and celery--again just make them bite sized.
Here is the process-
For me it began with defrosting and cutting into little chunks.
Dredge the meat in a mixture of flour and pepper (no salt yet)  Brown the meat in a little oil in a big pot (if you have a dutch oven it would work well.)
Once the meat is browned add in a whole yellow or white onion.
And celery, I love to include the leaves-it adds a great flavor.  If you kids want to help have them put the veggies in the pot and stir stir stir.  Touching the veggies helps them realize they are from a different planet and can be consumed.  My little girl would turn her nose up to these meal until we had her help with it.  Now she asks for the leftovers too.
When the celery and onions are sauteed add this stuff and enough water to cover.  Also add some chopped carrots and skinned, chopped potatoes.
Add more water and seasonings.  Parsley, salt, garlic powder, more pepper, a little more bullion if it suites your taste. Let it simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Stir occasionally and work on some yummy rolls for a side.

Beef Stew
1 1/2-2 lbs meat
1 large Onion
1/2 stalk celery
3-4 Carrots
4-5 medium potatoes (add more if you have a larger crowd, less if you are having less)
Parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder (let it simmer for a while before you add more--once the seasonings meld with the veggies something magical happens and it tastes delicious.

I'm sure you could crock pot this and it would turn out great.  I've read some recipes where they stick it in the oven to bake--I think that would make it great too.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...