7.11.2010

Oreo Cookies

Homemade oreo's are the best.  They don't taste like the store bought high trans fat ones--they are just pure yumminess.  They are easy to make too.  I have been making these since I was in high school and have stumbled upon a few tricks to making the process easier.
This little scooper makes a difference--it's small and helps keep your hands & counters clean.  The scooper is on parchment paper.  I buy precut parchment paper (I don't have a silicon mat)  The paper makes clean up a breeze.
The Recipe...
2 Chocolate Cake Mixes (try to use two different types--not german chocolate)
1 1/2 C Shortening
4 Eggs
Do you like my super tub of crisco?  I kept running out so I went for the super tub.

I like to add one cake mix--then wet ingredients
Then the next cake mix..this batter is thick if you are doing it by hand make sure you have a good spoon.
Use the wonderful scooper to but balls of dough out--you can obviously use your hands for this too.  But just to worn you it makes your hand greasy and creates little crumbs of cookie dough on your counters.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes (I live in a high altitude and go for the 12 minutes)
While you are baking, this batch filled four cookie sheets, start the frosting
Frosting Recipe...
1 package Cream Cheese
1 stick Butter
4-6 C Powdered Sugar
Vanilla &/or almond extract to taste
Cream the cream & butter before adding sugar add powdered sugar slowly.  I mix in vanilla then a little almond extract to give it a good flavor.

Once the cookies have cooled slightly (you don't want to melt the frosting)
Frost to your hearts content.
Put a dollop of frosting on--don't waste your time spreading it around.
Sandwich a lid on and the frosting will naturally spread out.
Once they are all frosted I like to store them in the fridge in an airtight container.  If you accidentally left your cookies in the oven for too long the frosting will help to soften the cookie.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

I LOVE your blog!!! My husband would love these cookies, I'll definitely have to make them soon.

Kelsey Carreon said...

I hope you are putting this recipe in the ward cookbook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...