3.24.2011

Go To Dress...Dress #2 Anthro Inspired Dress

The free dress pattern can be found at The Train to Crazy.

It is taking me a bit longer this week to get the pictures up of the dresses, hopefully the weather will cooperate a little more too.
Have no fear dress #2 is here...
I'm still debating whether or not to give it a waistband, but I like the flowing look of it.

My inspiration was from this...
found here. 
I will be making a skirt similar to this-maybe for Easter.

Things I did differently for this dress.
 For a ruffled sleeve and a box pleat I added extra width to the sleeve.
 For the box pleat on the sleeve I marked the center of the sleeve (the red pin) and pinned one inch from center.
 Then I flattened the one inch and pinned to the sleeve, this is the back view.
 This is the front view of the sleeve.
 Because I cut the sleeves wide I used piping to finish off the edge-no need for extra stretching.
Here is the finished edge of the sleeve.
Instead of gathering the back and front of the dress I decided to do box pleats. For the middle pleat I measured two inches out from center
The two outside pleats were 2 1/2 inches from the new center.
These outside pleats were only 1 inch deep.
 This is what it should look like before you sew it.
I basted the top edge of the pleats and finished it off with a gray strip of fabric as per the tutorial.
 For the bottom edge I used pre-packaged bias tape sewn together. I used a lot of pins for this part, sewing was a bit prickly.
 When I finished one row of the loops I added another layer. I didn't have enough to go all the way around three times so I went one and a half.  The front of the dress has two loops and the back only has one.
 Isn't it a fun design?
 Front and back view.
 I had yellow piping left over from the sleeves and finished the bottom edge.
 I still debating about the sleeves.  I like the look, but I might shorten them a bit.
 The yellow gives the dress and unexpected flare.
I'm sure a yellow corsage and a yellow headband would pull the dress together.

4 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

This is beautiful. Yellow and grey is so classic and the applique takes the entire dress to a new level.

Lisa {grey luster girl} said...

Love the pleating at the top!

Sommer said...

Oh you did a beautiful job on this! I love the color combination and the trim around the bottom, love the pattern. I would love to have you share this at my VIP party today =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-8.html

Unknown said...

That is so cute! Love how the yellow turned out along the bottom of the dress. So pretty!

Thanks so much for linking up with For the Kids Fridays at Sun Scholars. I can't wait to see what you have to share this week! I'll be posting the next party later tonight. Hope to have you stop by!

:)rachel @ SunScholars.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...